NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING.
1. PROMOTION DESCRIPTION: The GSN Digital Game Innovators Scholarship Contest (the "Contest") begins on September 11, 2013 at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time ("ET") and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on November 1, 2013 (the "Contest Period"). The Contest provides entrants with the opportunity to write an essay describing how the entrant would like to impact the gaming industry in the future (each, a "Submission") and to submit the essay for consideration. At the end of the Contest Period, one (1) scholarship winner will be selected as more fully set forth below. By participating in the Contest, each entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of Game Show Network, LLC, 2150 Colorado Avenue, Suite 100, Santa Monica, California 90404, ("Sponsor"), which shall be final and binding in all respects.
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who (i) are eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of entry; (ii) are enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree program at an accredited university or college in the United States; and (iii) can provide a transcript from the prior semester (either a high school transcript or college transcript, depending on the class year) reflecting a GPA of 3.0 or higher (or the equivalent of) (the "GPA Requirement"). Officers, directors and employees of Sponsor, Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc., DIRECTV and each of their respective parents, members, subsidiaries, divisions and affiliates (all such individuals and entities collectively referred to as "Promotion Entities"), individuals involved with the development, production or distribution of the Contest, and each of their immediate family members and those living in the same household (whether related or not) as any of the individuals in the preceding categories, and any person whose access to www.GSN.com and/or www.WorldWinner.com has been terminated or suspended by Sponsor, are not eligible to enter the Contest.
3. HOW TO ENTER: During the Contest Period, visit the web site www.gsn.com/scholarship (the "Website"), read these Official Rules, complete the submission form found on the Contest page with the information requested, and follow the online instructions to email a current transcript and Submission directly to the panel of GSN judges. Each Submission that is entered into the Contest must meet the following "Submission Requirements" (any essay that, in Sponsor's sole and absolute discretion, violates the following criteria will be disqualified):
(a) the Submission must be between one thousand (1000) and one thousand five hundred (1500) words and must address the following: (i) what does the entrant believe has been the greatest development in the gaming industry; (ii) where does the entrant see the games industry heading in the future; (iii) why is the entrant pursuing his or her field of study; and (iv) how will the entrant personally contribute to innovation in the games industry throughout his or her career; and
(b) the Submission must be the submitting entrant's original, previously unpublished work and not contain any third party copyrighted material.
Submissions must be received by the end of the Contest Period. The Website database clock will be the official time keeper for this Contest. No substitutions of new versions of Submissions will be accepted under any circumstances once the original Submission is submitted for consideration. Any Submission that is considered by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion to be obscene, libelous, hate speech or otherwise objectionable, in whole or in part, will be disqualified and will not be eligible for entry. All requested information on the Contest page must be completed to enter and to be eligible to win. Any communication or information transmitted to Sponsor and/or the Website by electronic mail or otherwise is and will be treated as non-confidential and nonproprietary. Submissions become the exclusive property of the Sponsor and will not be returned or acknowledged. Proof of submission is not considered proof of delivery to or receipt of such entry. Furthermore, Sponsor shall have no liability for any Submission that is lost, intercepted or not received by the Sponsor.
Limit one (1) Submission per person and/or e-mail address, regardless of method of entry.
4. WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION: After the Contest Period, a panel of judges selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion (the "Judging Panel") will select one (1) scholarship winner based on style, originality and capturing the Contest's theme. All decisions of the Judging Panel are final and binding in all respects of the Contest and not subject to challenge or appeal. The scholarship winner will be notified by telephone, e-mail, and/or mail using the contact information provided at the time of entry. Sponsor shall have no liability for any winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received by the potential winner for any reason. If, despite reasonable efforts, a potential scholarship winner does not respond within three (3) days of the first notification attempt, or if the winner notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable to any potential winner, such potential winner will forfeit his or her scholarship and an alternate winner may be selected. If any potential winner is found to be ineligible, or if he or she has not complied with these Official Rules or declines the scholarship for any reason, such potential winner will be disqualified and the scholarship may be awarded to an alternate winner or not awarded at all.
5. REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES/INDEMNIFICATION: Each person who enters this Contest (and his or her parent or legal guardian, if the entrant is under the age of majority in his or her state/province of residence [a "minor"]) represents and warrants as follows: (i) the Submission is wholly original with entrant, and as of the date of submission, is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim; (ii) the Submission does not and will not violate or infringe upon the intellectual property rights or other rights of any other person or entity; and (iii) the Submission does not and will not violate any applicable laws, and is not and will not be defamatory or libelous. Each entrant (and his or her parent or legal guardian, if the entrant is a minor) hereby agrees to indemnify and hold the Promotion Entities harmless from and against any and all third party claims, actions or proceedings of any kind and from any and all damages, liabilities, costs and expenses relating to or arising out of any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations or agreements of entrant hereunder.
6. GRANT OF RIGHTS: For good and valuable consideration, the receipt and legal sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, each entrant into the Contest (and his or her parent or legal guardian, if the entrant is a minor) hereby irrevocably grants Sponsor, its successors and assigns, a non-exclusive license (but not the obligation) to reproduce, publicly perform, stream, exploit, make derivative works of and otherwise use the Submission throughout the universe, in perpetuity, by means of any and all media and devices whether now known or hereafter devised. Sponsor shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to edit, composite, morph, scan, duplicate, or alter the Submission for any purpose which Sponsor deems necessary or desirable, and each entrant irrevocably waives any and all so-called moral rights they may have therein. Sponsor shall have the right to freely assign its rights hereunder, in whole or in part, to any person or entity. Sponsor shall retain the rights granted in each Submission even if the Submission is disqualified.
7. SCHOLARSHIP: One (1) two thousand five hundred dollar ($2500) scholarship is available. The scholarship will be paid directly to the scholarship winner.
8. GENERAL SCHOLARSHIP CONDITIONS: Scholarships are non-assignable and non-transferable. Each scholarship winner shall be solely responsible for all federal, state and/or local taxes including, without limitation, income taxes and any reporting consequences thereof. If required by law, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, Sponsor reserves the right to withhold and remit to the appropriate taxing authorities the amount of any taxes due. The Grand Scholarship winner may receive a 1099 form for the total ARV of scholarship. The scholarship will be awarded only if the scholarship winner fully complies with these Official Rules and provides Sponsor with a transcript from the immediately preceding semester that reflect the GPA Requirement. All details and restrictions of the scholarship not specified in these Official Rules will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. The scholarship winner may be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release, and (where imposing such condition is legal) a Publicity Release (collectively, "Scholarship Claim Documents"). If a winner is a minor, at Sponsor's option, the scholarship either will be awarded in the name of the parent or legal guardian of such minor winner, or the parent or legal guardian of such minor winner will be required to ratify and sign Scholarship Claim Documents. If any potential winner (or, in the case of a minor, such minor winner's parent or legal guardian) fails or refuses to sign and return all Scholarship Claim Documents within seventy-two (72) hours of scholarship notification, the winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected (or not selected at all).
9. GENERAL LIABILITY RELEASE/FORCE MAJEURE: Entrants agree that the Promotion Entities (a) shall not be responsible or liable for any losses, damages or injuries of any kind resulting from participation in the Contest or any Contest-related activity, or from entrants' acceptance, receipt, possession and/or use or misuse of the scholarship, and (b) have not made any warranty, representation or guarantee express or implied, in fact or in law, with respect to the scholarship. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any damage to an entrant's computer system which is occasioned by accessing the Website or participating in the Contest, or for any computer system, phone line, hardware, software or program malfunctions, or other errors, failures, delayed computer transmissions or network connections that are human or technical in nature. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Sponsor is not responsible for incomplete, illegible, misdirected, misprinted, late, lost, damaged, or stolen submissions, Submission or scholarship notifications; or for lost, interrupted, inaccessible or unavailable networks, servers, satellites, Internet Service Providers, websites, or other connections; or for miscommunications, failed, jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected computer, telephone or cable transmissions; or for any technical malfunctions, failures, difficulties or other errors of any kind or nature; or for the incorrect or inaccurate capture of information, or the failure to capture any information. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who is found to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or the Websites, to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, or to be acting in an unsportsman-like or disruptive manner, or with the intent to disrupt or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest, or to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person in connection with this Contest or any other contest, sweepstakes, promotion or event of any kind or nature sponsored or administered by Sponsor or its affiliated, subsidiary or parent companies, and Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. In the event an insufficient number of eligible Submissions are received or Sponsor is prevented from awarding scholarship(s) or continuing with the Contest as contemplated herein by any event beyond its control, including but not limited to fire, flood, natural or man-made epidemic, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, war (declared or undeclared) or any federal state or local government law, order, or regulation, public health crisis, order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within Sponsor's control (each a "Force Majeure" event or occurrence), Sponsor shall have the right to modify, suspend, extend or terminate the Contest. If the Contest is terminated for Force Majeure before the designated end date, Sponsor will (if possible) select the winner from all eligible, non-suspect Submissions received as of the date of the event giving rise to the termination. These Official Rules cannot be modified or amended in any way except in a written document issued in accordance with the law by a duly authorized representative of Sponsor. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these rules shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
10. NATURE OF RELATIONSHIP/WAIVER OF EQUITABLE RELIEF: Each entrant hereby acknowledges and agrees that the relationship between the entrant and the Promotion Entities is not a confidential, fiduciary, or other special relationship, and that the entrant's decision to provide the entrant's Submission to Sponsor for purposes of the Contest does not place the Promotion Entities in a position that is any different from the position held by members of the general public with regard to elements of the entrant's Submission. Each entrant understands and acknowledges that the Promotion Entities have wide access to ideas, stories, designs, and other literary materials, and that new ideas are constantly being submitted to it or being developed by their own employees. Each entrant also acknowledges that many ideas or stories may be competitive with, similar or identical to the Submission and/or each other in theme, idea, plot, format or other respects. Each entrant acknowledges and agrees that such entrant will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of any Promotion Entity's use of any such similar or identical material. Each entrant acknowledges and agrees that the Promotion Entities do not now and shall not have in the future any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of the copyright in and to the Submission.
11. NO OBLIGATION TO USE: Sponsor shall have no obligation (express or implied) to use any Submission, or to otherwise exploit any Submission or, if commenced, to continue the distribution or exploitation thereof, and Sponsor may at any time abandon the use of the any Submission for any reason, with or without legal justification or excuse, and contestants shall not be entitled to any damages or other relief by reason thereof.
12. DATES & DEADLINES/ANTICIPATED NUMBER OF CONTESTANTS: Because of the unique nature and scope of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, in addition to those other rights reserved herein, to modify any date(s) or deadline(s) set forth in these Official Rules or otherwise governing the Contest. Sponsor cannot accurately predict the number of entrants who will participate in the Contest.
13. FURTHER DOCUMENTATION: If Sponsor shall desire to secure additional assignments, certificates of engagement for the Submission or other documents as Sponsor may reasonably require in order to effectuate the purposes and intents of these Official Rules, then each entrant agrees to sign the same upon Sponsor's request therefor.
15. GOVERNING LAW: Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to (i) the Contest, (ii) the awarding or redemption of any scholarship and/or (iii) the determination of the scope or applicability of these Official Rules or their enforcement, arbitrability or interpretation (collectively, "Claims") shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the substantive laws of the State of California without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of any other state's laws.
16. ARBITRATION PROVISION: By participating in the Contest, each entrant (and any minor entrant's parent or legal guardian) agree that: (1) any Claim entrant may have against the Sponsor will be resolved exclusively by final and binding arbitration administered by JAMS and conducted before a sole arbitrator in accordance with the rules of JAMS; (2) this arbitration agreement is made pursuant to a transaction involving interstate commerce, and shall be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act ("FAA"), 9 U.S.C. §§ 1-16; (3) the arbitration shall be held in Los Angeles, California; (4) the arbitrator's decision shall be controlled by the terms and conditions of this Agreement and any of the other agreements referenced herein that the applicable entrant may have entered into in connection with the Contest; (5) the arbitrator shall apply California law consistent with the FAA and applicable statutes of limitations, and shall honor claims of privilege recognized at law; (6) there shall be no authority for any claims to be arbitrated on a class or representative basis, arbitration can decide only entrant's and/or Sponsor's individual claims; the arbitrator may not consolidate or join the claims of other persons or parties who may be similarly situated; (7) the arbitrator shall not have the power to award punitive damages against the entrant or Sponsor; (8) in the event that the administrative fees and deposits that must be paid to initiate arbitration against Sponsor exceed $125 USD, and entrant is unable (or not required under the rules of JAMS) to pay any fees and deposits that exceed this amount, Sponsor agrees to pay them and/or forward them on entrant's behalf, subject to ultimate allocation by the arbitrator. In addition, if the entrant is able to demonstrate that the costs of arbitration will be prohibitive as compared to the costs of litigation, Sponsor will pay as much of entrant's filing and hearing fees in connection with the arbitration as the arbitrator deems necessary to prevent the arbitration from being cost-prohibitive; and (9) with the exception of subpart (6) above, if any part of this arbitration provision is deemed to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal, or otherwise conflicts with the rules of JAMS, then the balance of this arbitration provision shall remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with its terms as if the invalid, unenforceable, illegal or conflicting provision were not contained herein. If, however, subpart (6) is found to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal, then the entirety of this arbitration provision shall be null and void, and neither entrant nor Sponsor shall be entitled to arbitrate their dispute. For more information on JAMS and/or the rules of JAMS, visit their website at www.jamsadr.com.
17. WINNERS LIST/OFFICIAL RULES: To obtain a copy of any legally-required winners list, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to The GSN Digital Game Innovators Scholarship Contest Winners List, c/o Promotions Department, Game Show Network, LLC, 21 Hickory Drive, 3rd Floor, Waltham, Massachusetts 02451. All such requests must be received within six (6) weeks following the end of the Contest Period. These Official Rules will be posted on the Website.
© 2013 Game Show Network, LLC. All Rights Reserved. GSN and its distinctive logo are trademarks of Game Show Network, LLC.